Not-for-Profit Accounting Services
Get Customized Recommendations to Fit Your Unique Challenges
Brown Edwards’ commitment to not-for-profits is a core focus of our firm. We understand your issues, your challenges, and your unique accounting and reporting requirements. Most importantly, we have a genuine interest in your organization.
Brown Edwards has a dedicated pool of not-for-profit specialists who are highly experienced and sensitive to your needs and concerns. Our team members are noted by our clients for their accessibility and hands-on style, as well as the depth of knowledge and capabilities. Ultimately, in professional relationships, people do make the difference.
We Can Assist You in the Following Areas
Other Not-For-Profit Services
Though every foundation has its own identity, philosophy, and purpose, they all face common economic challenges. Regardless of their management or cause, each must ensure reliable and successful patronage.
Brown Edwards provides foundation accounting services through its business tax, audit, and advisory teams. Our professionals offer the knowledge and experience to improve an organization’s effectiveness, expand its endowments, and help in distributing funds according to the foundation’s mission. Our guidance includes:
- Ensuring compliance with foundation accounting, financial reporting, and tax reporting standards.
- Responding to any investigations relating to “community foundations” and addressing other tax-exempt status matters.
- Providing advice on best practices, accountability, and ethics.
- Working with the foundation and key donors to develop and implement effective management.
- Advising on operational and stewardship policies and procedures.
- Reviewing information technology tools.
- Analyzing the foundation’s current and projected budgets and financial goals, and offering guidance on upcoming legislative issues.
- Helping religious organizations stay in compliance with accounting, financial reporting, and tax regulations.
- Providing assessments of the roles, responsibilities, relationships, and technology within the organization.
- Evaluating current and projected budget processes and financial strategies.
- Examining revenues and costs associated with charitable and investment activities..
- Providing guidance on compliance; helping prepare financial statements for members and boards; and assisting in corporate structuring and reorganization.
- Working with leaders to identify, develop, and implement strategic objectives; guiding management transitions; and reviewing/advising about information technology.
- Helping management attain fiscal objectives and developing control procedures to reduce risk.
- Ensuring compliance with not-for-profit accounting standards, financial reporting practices, and tax reporting regulations.
- Conducting budget-process assessments and financial modeling of strategies.
- Examining current and future market environments.
- Developing and executing organizational initiatives and long-term strategies.
Social service organizations face financial and operational challenges as donor activity dwindles, public funding decreases, and a demand for services increases. Brown Edwards has years of experience helping organizations respond to these concerns, progress towards their financial goals, and protect their tax-exempt status. Our work includes:
- Keeping organizations compliant with applicable foundation accounting standards.
- Responding to potential sanctions and investigations.
- Improving efficiency by evaluating the organization, its structure, and its technology.
- Weighing current and projected budgets and reviewing financial strategies, including cost analyses and activity bases costing.
The IRS Tax-Exempt and Government Entities (TE/GE) Division released its “Fiscal Year 2021 Accomplishments Letter” on Jan. 6, 2022. The letter contains information about the TE/GE’s contributions to the tax administration process and describes the division’s accomplishments during the recentlyread more
Amid the early stages of the COVID-19 pandemic, many nonprofits saw an increase in goodwill as individuals and organizations were inspired to give back in a time of crisis. Now, nonprofit leaders are looking to understand how they can maintainread more
Nonprofit organizations have been navigating change in almost every aspect of their operations over the past two years, including shifting priorities, a new employment landscape, and changes in fundraising and hosting programs and events. As organizations continue to reimagine whatread more
Contact Our Not-For-Profit Team
Ready to Discuss Your Business Needs?
Contact us to learn more about our services.