Other Not-for-Profit Services
Brown Edwards’ expertise in tax, finance, and strategic planning helps not-for-profit organizations achieve their goals.
Explore our services:
Though every foundation has its own identity, philosophy, and purpose, they all face common economic challenges. Regardless of their management or cause, each must ensure reliable and successful patronage.
Brown Edwards provides foundation accounting services through its business tax, audit, and advisory teams. Our professionals offer the knowledge and experience to improve an organization’s effectiveness, expand its endowments, and help in distributing funds according to the foundation’s mission. Our guidance includes:
- Ensuring compliance with foundation accounting, financial reporting, and tax reporting standards.
- Responding to any investigations relating to “community foundations” and addressing other tax-exempt status matters.
- Providing advice on best practices, accountability, and ethics.
- Working with the foundation and key donors to develop and implement effective management.
- Advising on operational and stewardship policies and procedures.
- Reviewing information technology tools.
- Analyzing the foundation’s current and projected budgets and financial goals, and offering guidance on upcoming legislative issues.
The IRS is increasingly examining not-for-profit organizations for compliance. As a result, religious organizations must take measures to follow legal guidelines and avoid conflicts of interest. As with our work with foundation accounting, Brown Edwards’ professionals can assist religious groups in addressing these challenges. Our services may involve:
- Helping religious organizations stay in compliance with accounting, financial reporting, and tax regulations.
- Providing assessments of the roles, responsibilities, relationships, and technology within the organization.
- Evaluating current and projected budget processes and financial strategies.
- Examining revenues and costs associated with charitable and investment activities.
Cultural organizations need to follow the laws that regulate their tax-exempt status while pursuing their mission. Brown Edwards works with organizations to develop financial planning and operational effectiveness. Projects may include:
- Providing guidance on compliance; helping prepare financial statements for members and boards; and assisting in corporate structuring and reorganization.
- Working with leaders to identify, develop, and implement strategic objectives; guiding management transitions; and reviewing / advising about information technology.
- Helping management attain fiscal objectives and developing control procedures to reduce risk.
Trade and Professional Associations
Many large trade and professional organizations manage the same level of resources and require the same level of efficiency as major corporations. Brown Edwards understands the financial needs of these associations and offers a wide range of services, such as:
- Ensuring compliance with not-for-profit accounting standards, financial reporting practices, and tax reporting regulations.
- Conducting budget-process assessments and financial modeling of strategies.
- Examining current and future market environments.
- Developing and executing organizational initiatives and long-term strategies.
Social Service Organizations
Social service organizations face financial and operational challenges as donor activity dwindles, public funding decreases, and a demand for services increases. Brown Edwards has years of experience helping organizations respond to these concerns, progress towards their financial goals, and protect their tax-exempt status. Our work includes:
- Keeping organizations compliant with applicable foundation accounting standards.
- Responding to potential sanctions and investigations.
- Improving efficiency by evaluating the organization, its structure, and its technology.
- Weighing current and projected budgets and reviewing financial strategies, including cost analyses and activity bases costing.