Other Not-for-Profit Services
Brown Edwards’ expertise in tax, finance, and strategic planning helps not-for-profit organizations achieve their goals. Explore our services:
Though every foundation has its own identity, philosophy, and purpose, they all face common economic challenges. Regardless of their management or cause, each must ensure reliable and successful patronage.
Brown Edwards provides foundation accounting services through its business tax, audit, and advisory teams. Our professionals offer the knowledge and experience to improve an organization’s effectiveness, expand its endowments, and help in distributing funds according to the foundation’s mission. Our guidance includes:
- Ensuring compliance with foundation accounting, financial reporting, and tax reporting standards.
- Responding to any investigations relating to “community foundations” and addressing other tax-exempt status matters.
- Providing advice on best practices, accountability, and ethics.
- Working with the foundation and key donors to develop and implement effective management.
- Advising on operational and stewardship policies and procedures.
- Reviewing information technology tools.
- Analyzing the foundation’s current and projected budgets and financial goals, and offering guidance on upcoming legislative issues.
The IRS is increasingly examining not-for-profit organizations for compliance. As a result, religious organizations must take measures to follow legal guidelines and avoid conflicts of interest. As with our work with foundation accounting, Brown Edwards’ professionals can assist religious groups in addressing these challenges. Our services may involve:
- Helping religious organizations stay in compliance with accounting, financial reporting, and tax regulations.
- Providing assessments of the roles, responsibilities, relationships, and technology within the organization.
- Evaluating current and projected budget processes and financial strategies.
- Examining revenues and costs associated with charitable and investment activities.
Cultural organizations need to follow the laws that regulate their tax-exempt status while pursuing their mission. Brown Edwards works with organizations to develop financial planning and operational effectiveness. Projects may include:
- Providing guidance on compliance; helping prepare financial statements for members and boards; and assisting in corporate structuring and reorganization.
- Working with leaders to identify, develop, and implement strategic objectives; guiding management transitions; and reviewing / advising about information technology.
- Helping management attain fiscal objectives and developing control procedures to reduce risk.
Trade and Professional Associations
Many large trade and professional organizations manage the same level of resources and require the same level of efficiency as major corporations. Brown Edwards understands the financial needs of these associations and offers a wide range of services, such as:
- Ensuring compliance with not-for-profit accounting standards, financial reporting practices, and tax reporting regulations.
- Conducting budget-process assessments and financial modeling of strategies.
- Examining current and future market environments.
- Developing and executing organizational initiatives and long-term strategies.
Social Service Organizations
Social service organizations face financial and operational challenges as donor activity dwindles, public funding decreases, and a demand for services increases. Brown Edwards has years of experience helping organizations respond to these concerns, progress towards their financial goals, and protect their tax-exempt status. Our work includes:
- Keeping organizations compliant with applicable foundation accounting standards.
- Responding to potential sanctions and investigations.
- Improving efficiency by evaluating the organization, its structure, and its technology.
- Weighing current and projected budgets and reviewing financial strategies, including cost analyses and activity bases costing.
If your organization could benefit from Brown Edwards’ experience with not-for-profit services accountingContact One of Our Team Members
319 McClanahan St SW • Roanoke, VA, 24014-7705
Melissa is an assurance partner in the Roanoke office and has over 25 years of accounting experience. Prior to joining Brown Edwards, Melissa was a partner in one of the top 20 firms in the nation where her practice concentrations were in not-for-profit organizations, employee benefit plan audits, and a variety of closely held businesses, including manufacturers, real estate holding companies, distributors and service organizations.
Melissa’s expertise includes assistance in applying accounting standards in a multitude of situations – from everyday transactions to complex, multi-faceted arrangements. This includes assistance in evaluating and complying with new accounting pronouncements, with particular attention to the organizations’ circumstances and industry. In addition, Melissa is routinely called upon to consult on internal control related matters and is well known for her responsible, team-oriented approach.
She holds a Bachelor of Arts in Accounting from Lynchburg College. She is a licensed CPA in the Virginia Commonwealth and is a member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants and the Virginia Society of CPA’s.
Fountain Plaza One 701 Town Center Drive Suite 700• Newport News, VA, 23606
Leslie Is a partner is our Newport News office. She has more than 30 years of accounting experience, most of which is in public accounting. She has supervised and performed audits and consulting services in various industries including higher education, state and local governmental entities, governmental authorities, boards and commissions, regional and municipal airports, government contracting, religious organizations, various non-profits including foundations, healthcare and construction contractors. She also served as Controller for a regional non-profit hospital and nursing home and has provided consulting services for healthcare clients (both long-term and acute-care facilities). A large part of Leslie’s practice requires auditing under Government Auditing Standards and ensuring compliance in accordance with OMB Circular Uniform Guidance. As such, Leslie has extensive experience and has received advanced training in these areas. Her responsibilities include engagement management, client correspondence, presentations, practice development, work-paper review, staff supervision, scheduling and consulting.
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, Member
- Virginia Society of Certified Accountants, Member
- Government Audit Quality Center, Member and Firm Liaison
- Certified Public Accountant – NC
- Certified Public Accountant – VA
- Bachelor of Science, Business Administration
University of North Carolina Chapel Hill
- Government Contracting
- Public Sector & Government
300 Chase Building, 707 Virginia Street East • Charleston, WV 25301
Rob is a partner is our Charleston office and has 25 years of professional experience. Rob previously served as the Director of Assurance Services for Gibbons & Kawash. He has extensive experience in financial reporting, accounting, internal control, auditing, review, compilation, and agreed upon procedures professional services for closely-held businesses and public sector entities including real estate, hospitality, manufacturing, retail, wholesale, media, mineral, and an extensive concentration in various nonprofit organizations and state & local governmental entities. Rob is active in the AICPA’s Governmental Audit Quality Center. Rob’s experience also includes reporting under International Financial Reporting Standards, and conducting audits in accordance with Government Auditing Standards and the Uniform Guidance or the Single Audit. Rob is the Firm’s Central region Assurance department coordinator and a member of the Firm’s Accounting and Audit Committee.
Rob graduated Magna Cum Laude from West Virginia Wesleyan College in 1994 with a Bachelor of Science degree in business administration with a concentration in accounting and a minor in economics.
Rob is a member of the American Institute of CPAs, the West Virginia Society of CPAs, the Charleston Chapter of the West Virginia Society of CPAs, the Governmental Finance Officers Association, and is a Chartered Global Management Accountant. Rob is a current board member of West Virginia Kids Count, a local youth sports coach, musician, and he is active in the local community and in his church.
300 Chase Building, 707 Virginia Street East • Charleston, WV 25301
Valerie is a partner in the Charleston office with over 30 years of professional experience in a wide variety of areas. Valerie has directed audits of many closely held businesses, employee benefit plans, and nonprofit organizations. She has consulted with clients on matters ranging from regulatory compliance to operational issues and internal control. Her clients include professional firms, retailers, wholesalers, contractors, colleges and universities, foundations, and religious organizations.
Valerie has been a contributing author and technical reviewer for nationally distributed publications and a featured speaker at industry conferences.
Valerie graduated summa cum laude from Marshall University with a bachelor’s degree in business administration.
Valerie is a member of the American Institute of CPAs, the West Virginia Society of CPAs where she has served as chair of various committees, and the Charleston Chapter of the West Virginia Society of CPAs. She is also a member and past treasurer of the Rotary Club of Charleston; a member of the Marshall University Division of Accountancy and Legal Environment Advisory Board, and a member of the cultivation committee for Women in Economic and Leadership Development. She also teaches financial literacy to teenage parents through a program at her church.
Valerie was honored as the AICPA 2012 Woman to Watch–Experienced Leader by the West Virginia Society of CPAs.
1909 Financial Drive • Harrisonburg, VA, 22801
Jim is an assurance partner based in our Harrisonburg office. He specializes in working with employee benefit plans and not-for-profit organizations, including foundations, healthcare entities, community action agencies, and other social service organizations. Jim also has experience in a wide range of other industries, including manufacturers, utilities, cooperatives, construction contractors, and physician practices. He is a member of the firm’s peer review services team, providing quality reviews to regional public accounting firms around the country.
A 1999 magna cum laude graduate of Virginia Tech, Jim has a B.S. Degree in Accounting and a Master of Accountancy degree. Jim is a member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, Virginia Society of Certified Public Accountants, the Institute of Management Accountants (IMA), and the National Society of Accountants for Cooperatives (NSAC). He holds board and committee positions on his local chapter of the IMA, Redeemer Classical School and the Harrisonburg-Rockingham Historical Society. He also serves on the finance committee of his local church and has board positions on several other not-for-profit organizations.