Electric Cooperative Accounting
B rown Edwards provides extensive, highest quality accounting services to a range of regulated entities; municipal entities that distribute electricity; cooperative organizations; and, specifically, electric cooperatives. Whether it be financial and compliance audits, tax compliance, or our industry-specific consulting services, Brown Edwards follows best practices to provide coops with needed guidance in the face of financial complexity
Financial and Compliance Audits
- Brown Edwards conducts external financial statement audits in accordance with government auditing standards, including the unique aspects of GAAP Accounting for Regulated Operations.
- We provide compliance audits in accordance with the lending requirements of the Rural Utilities Service and, as applicable, the Single Audit requirements of OMB Circular A-133.
Brown Edwards’ electric cooperative accounting team can assist you with a variety of business tax services, such as…
- Preparation of IRS Form 990
- Evaluation of Unrelated Business Income
- Cooperative taxation
- Tax filings of for-profit subsidiaries
Often, clients choose Brown Edwards for financial management and supporting their operations. Our tax consulting and accounting consulting for businesses includes:
- Litigation support and fraud investigations
- Merger / acquisition assistance
- Benefit plan accounting assistance and compliance reviews
- Internal control reviews
Find out more about how we can support your Not-For-ProfitContact us today
319 McClanahan St SW • Roanoke, VA, 24014-7705
Chris is an audit partner based in the Roanoke office. He provides audit services to a wide range of entities including privately owned businesses, municipalities, governmental entities, non-profits, HUD entities, national fraternities, and electric cooperatives. He specializes and coordinates the compliance auditing aspect of the annual audits of municipal and governmental clients including APA compliance and transmittal form preparation, Single Audit compliance, RUS compliance, FAA compliance, and NTD reporting compliance. Chris is also a member of the firm’s peer review services team, providing quality reviews to regional public accounting firms around the country. In addition, he is a Certified Fraud Examiner, providing internal control reviews, fraud examinations, forensic accounting services, and litigation support services.
Chris graduated from Virginia Tech with a Bachelor of Science in Accounting in May 2000.
Chris is actively committed to serving the community through current or past memberships on various community committees or boards including:
• Served in various roles, including President, Vice President, and Treasurer of the Grandin Theater Foundation (2008 – 2014)
• Treasurer of the Virginia Museum of Transportation (2014 – Present)
• Finance Committee member of the Boys and Girls Club of Southwest Virginia (2014 – Present)
• Kiwanis Club of Roanoke member and Chairman of the Kiwanis Career and Technical Education Scholarship Program (2012-Present)
He is a member of the Virginia Society of Certified Public Accountants, the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, the Association of Certified Fraud Examiner, the Government Finance Officers Association, the Virginia Government Finance Officers Association, and the National Society of Accountants for Cooperatives. Chris has also previously been named a “Super CPA” by Virginia Business magazine.
319 McClanahan St SW • Roanoke, VA, 24014-7705
Melissa is an assurance partner in the Roanoke office and has over 25 years of accounting experience. Prior to joining Brown Edwards, Melissa was a partner in one of the top 20 firms in the nation where her practice concentrations were in not-for-profit organizations, employee benefit plan audits, and a variety of closely held businesses, including manufacturers, real estate holding companies, distributors and service organizations.
Melissa’s expertise includes assistance in applying accounting standards in a multitude of situations – from everyday transactions to complex, multi-faceted arrangements. This includes assistance in evaluating and complying with new accounting pronouncements, with particular attention to the organizations’ circumstances and industry. In addition, Melissa is routinely called upon to consult on internal control related matters and is well known for her responsible, team-oriented approach.
She holds a Bachelor of Arts in Accounting from Lynchburg College. She is a licensed CPA in the Virginia Commonwealth and is a member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants and the Virginia Society of CPA’s.