Other Not-for-Profit Services
Brown Edwards’ expertise in tax, finance, and strategic planning helps not-for-profit organizations achieve their goals. Explore our services:
Though every foundation has its own identity, philosophy, and purpose, they all face common economic challenges. Regardless of their management or cause, each must ensure reliable and successful patronage.
Brown Edwards provides foundation accounting services through its business tax, audit, and advisory teams. Our professionals offer the knowledge and experience to improve an organization’s effectiveness, expand its endowments, and help in distributing funds according to the foundation’s mission. Our guidance includes:
- Ensuring compliance with foundation accounting, financial reporting, and tax reporting standards.
- Responding to any investigations relating to “community foundations” and addressing other tax-exempt status matters.
- Providing advice on best practices, accountability, and ethics.
- Working with the foundation and key donors to develop and implement effective management.
- Advising on operational and stewardship policies and procedures.
- Reviewing information technology tools.
- Analyzing the foundation’s current and projected budgets and financial goals, and offering guidance on upcoming legislative issues.
The IRS is increasingly examining not-for-profit organizations for compliance. As a result, religious organizations must take measures to follow legal guidelines and avoid conflicts of interest. As with our work with foundation accounting, Brown Edwards’ professionals can assist religious groups in addressing these challenges. Our services may involve:
- Helping religious organizations stay in compliance with accounting, financial reporting, and tax regulations.
- Providing assessments of the roles, responsibilities, relationships, and technology within the organization.
- Evaluating current and projected budget processes and financial strategies.
- Examining revenues and costs associated with charitable and investment activities.
Cultural organizations need to follow the laws that regulate their tax-exempt status while pursuing their mission. Brown Edwards works with organizations to develop financial planning and operational effectiveness. Projects may include:
- Providing guidance on compliance; helping prepare financial statements for members and boards; and assisting in corporate structuring and reorganization.
- Working with leaders to identify, develop, and implement strategic objectives; guiding management transitions; and reviewing / advising about information technology.
- Helping management attain fiscal objectives and developing control procedures to reduce risk.
Trade and Professional Associations
Many large trade and professional organizations manage the same level of resources and require the same level of efficiency as major corporations. Brown Edwards understands the financial needs of these associations and offers a wide range of services, such as:
- Ensuring compliance with not-for-profit accounting standards, financial reporting practices, and tax reporting regulations.
- Conducting budget-process assessments and financial modeling of strategies.
- Examining current and future market environments.
- Developing and executing organizational initiatives and long-term strategies.
Social Service Organizations
Social service organizations face financial and operational challenges as donor activity dwindles, public funding decreases, and a demand for services increases. Brown Edwards has years of experience helping organizations respond to these concerns, progress towards their financial goals, and protect their tax-exempt status. Our work includes:
- Keeping organizations compliant with applicable foundation accounting standards.
- Responding to potential sanctions and investigations.
- Improving efficiency by evaluating the organization, its structure, and its technology.
- Weighing current and projected budgets and reviewing financial strategies, including cost analyses and activity bases costing.
If your organization could benefit from Brown Edwards’ experience with not-for-profit services accountingContact One of Our Team Members
319 McClanahan St SW • Roanoke, VA, 24014-7705
David is a partner and has close to forty years of diversified assurance, accounting, and consulting experience with particular expertise serving private educational institutions and other types of not-for-profit organizations.
During his tenure with the Firm, David has served in a variety of executive leadership roles including the following:
- Member of the firm’s Leadership Committee (Executive Committee and governing board), a position he has held for over twenty five years. This committee is responsible for the Firm’s overall vision and strategic direction. For the past fifteen years, David has been the chairman of the committee.
- Firm Coordinator of Internal IT Services. In this role, David oversees Brown Edwards’ information technology systems.
- Firm Coordinator of Education Services. David started this niche over thirty years ago and currently leads our education team. During his leadership, the Firm has had significant growth with small, private colleges and universities. He is a well-respected authority in the industry with experience including:
- Assurance and related – auditing financial statements and advising on a variety of financial accounting and reporting issues such as presentation, disclosure and transparency
- Governance and accountability – designing best practices, developing practical ways to meet audit committee responsibilities, and crafting audit committee charters, roles and responsibilities
- Strategic finance and risk management – business analysis (assessing current resources and projecting future needs), organizational structure, financial benchmarking, strategic debt management (capital additions and debt offerings), reviewing internal controls, and advising on enterprise risk management (ERM)
- Endowment management – accounting for investments, Uniform Prudent Management of Institutional Funds Act (UPMIFA) accounting issues, unitization of investment pools, spending policies and benchmarking
- Past Coordinator of the Firm’s assurance, accounting, and quality control for more than twenty years. In this capacity David designed Brown Edwards’ quality control system and successfully led the Firm through four consecutive peer reviews. He was also responsible for reengineering the Firm’s audit process to enhance efficiencies, effectiveness and the implementation of a paperless (green) assurance approach which is still in use today.
David graduated from Old Dominion University in 1977 with a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, concentrating in Accounting. He is a member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA), the Virginia Society of Certified Public Accountants (VSCPA), and has served on the Leading Edge Alliance’s Accounting and Auditing Committee. In addition, David is the past treasurer and chairman of the Finance Committee of Virginia Amateur Sports, Inc., which annually organizes the Commonwealth Games of Virginia.
124 Newman Ave • Harrisonburg, VA, 22801-4004
Jim is an assurance partner based in our Harrisonburg office. He specializes in working with employee benefit plans and not-for-profit organizations, including foundations, healthcare entities, community action agencies, and other social service organizations. Jim also has experience in a wide range of other industries, including manufacturers, utilities, cooperatives, construction contractors, and physician practices. He is a member of the firm’s peer review services team, providing quality reviews to regional public accounting firms around the country.
A 1999 magna cum laude graduate of Virginia Tech, Jim has a B.S. Degree in Accounting and a Master of Accountancy degree. Jim is a member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, Virginia Society of Certified Public Accountants, the Institute of Management Accountants (IMA), and the National Society of Accountants for Cooperatives (NSAC). He holds board positions on his local chapter of the IMA and the Harrisonburg-Rockingham Association of Young Professionals. He also serves on the finance committee of his local church and has board positions on several other not-for-profit organizations.
319 McClanahan St SW • Roanoke, VA, 24014-7705
Melissa is an assurance partner in the Roanoke office and has almost 25 years of accounting experience. Prior to joining Brown Edwards, Melissa was a partner in one of the top 20 firms in the nation where her practice concentrations were in not-for-profit organizations, employee benefit plan audits, and a variety of closely held businesses, including manufacturers, distributors and service organizations.
Melissa’s expertise includes assistance in applying accounting standards in a multitude of situations – from everyday transactions to complex, multi-faceted arrangements. This includes assistance in evaluating and complying with new accounting pronouncements, with particular attention to the organizations’ circumstances and industry. In addition, Melissa is routinely called upon to consult on internal control related matters and is well known for her responsible, team-oriented approach.
She holds a Bachelor of Arts in Accounting from Lynchburg College. She is a licensed CPA in the Virginia Commonwealth and is a member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants and the Virginia Society of CPA’s.